Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New Blog, Old Baby

Yesterday my sweet baby turned 10 MONTHS OLD!  I get that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I think about it.  He's growing up way too fast and I find myself relishing in every moment I get to spend with him.  I remember the first day we brought him home and how terrified we were.  My husband and I had NO CLUE how to care for a baby, and neither of us had any experience with them.  But isn't it amazing how those paternal instincts immediately kick in and you find yourself quickly learning what to do (although I must admit, I'm still completely clueless on so many things and find myself learning something new everyday)?!

Now doesn't that sweet face just make you want to melt?

I don't know how or if I'll be able to leave this precious face every morning to work in and run my own bakery.  It's something I've thought a lot about lately.  I've been running my own business , Dalisha's Desserts, out of my home kitchen for the past 4 years.  It grew so quickly that I couldn't keep up with the demand (both a blessing and a curse).  My bakery space (which was supposed to be completed well before my son was born) should finally be ready by the end of summer, but now I'm not ready.  I know many people would tell me that I would be wasting a talent by staying at home and that Layton would be perfectly fine staying with someone else.  And of course, there is always a money issue that looms in the background.  My husband and I do rely on the money I bring in, but I look into that precious 10 month old  face and nothing else in this world matters.  No material thing could ever replace the time I have with my son and although the opportunities that I have now with the business won't exist a few years from now, I'll still have my talent.  Maybe this blog will become so wildly famous I won't have to worry about any of that!  Even typing that caused my fingers to laugh, too.  Only in my wildest dreams!  So until I become the next Pioneer Woman or Bakerella, my question is this: how do all of you working mothers out there do it?  And for those of you that have chosen staying at home over your job, would you have it any other way? I think I pretty much know the answer to both of those questions; it's just nice hearing your take on things.  Now  I must go peek at my precious angel asleep in his crib one more time before heading to bed.  I hope all of you out there come back for more baby and bakery stories.  I know there will be so many stories to tell, recipes and demonstrations to share, and screw-ups to make you laugh! 

7 comments:

  1. I love that you started this! Now I want to fo one. Wish I'd started when he was born. Maybe with the next baby! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging world! i don't keep mine updated anymore, but sure enjoy other people's! I know about the staying at home part, and got just a taste of running a miniscule size business from home and it's not as easy as it may look. I go to the my real office for a break! Don't worry about everything that you have on your plate. It will all work out, just maybe not in the order you had planned! Love ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this!!!! Will be waiting for the next. Hope to one day visit that great bakery and meet your wonderful family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing cake artist and I am glad that a friend told me about your facebook page. I did the stay at home mom thing for 3 years before I decided to go back to work and have been for 5 years. Although I love my job in a doctor's office, I am trying to find a way to build my at home cake business enough that I can quit my job to be at home more. My kids are in school now, but I still wish I could be home to have a nice dinner ready when they get home from school and more time for field trips and volunteering. You have an amazing talent for cake and will do rediculously well in a store front, just make sure to have a good staff to help you because you can't get this time back with your kids. My opinion is not worth anything, but you asked. Best of luck...I look forward to more blog posts from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seen your post on your facebook page and had to read! Although we don't do the same type of business, i completely understand everything you have said and have questioned myself A LOT on this same topic! I'm a photographer, and run a VERY small studio out of my home and dream to have my own studio someday! I have a 17 month old son that I'm at home with everyday, but still have to manage my time between photo shoots/editing photos! I went to work back in october just at a factory to help out more with our income and I was only there 3 weeks! Noah was in day care and it killed me when he had to be there 10 hours somedays, and by the time i got home i was so tired I didn't feel like i was being a good mom like i was supposed to be! I know I want to build a good business and be very successful at it but, my first priority is my son! And sometimes it interferes with photography, but that's just the way it has to be, I hear a lot that about how lucky I am to be a stay at home mom and run a business on the side, but sometimes the business seems to be more of a nuisance and have several times thought about giving it up and then every time I do I get several appts. lined up and can't seem to say no!

    I wish you the best of luck in your business, you are very talented!!! And thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found you through Real MOMs in the Big O. I've been a SAHM mostly, but I did work for a few years. I had gone back to work when my first son was 2.5 and that was very hard. Once I had son #2 and had to put him in daycare, I was miserable. I spent the rest of my working days looking forward to the day when I could quit and stay at home with my boys (now we have five). But I didn't love my job. It's a very personal choice, but I would advise to follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete